Western Thebes c. 1550–1298 BCE

$3.95

Map Code: Ax00017

Breaking with the tradition of internment in the northern pyramid complexes, the rulers of the newly reunified Egypt (18th Dynasty), built a necropolis in western Thebes, close to their dynastic roots. The local god, Amun, was elevated to the status of patron god of Egypt and money poured into building tombs and mortuary temples, commemorating Amun and the ruling elite. To deter grave robbers, the tombs were sunk into the arid walls of the Theban mountains. Unlike the concealed tombs, vast mortuary temples were built in the desert plains as lasting memorials to the dead pharaohs and their association with Osiris, god of the underworld, and Re, the sun god. The necropolis was also home to the temple workers in Deir el-Medina. The last completed royal tomb was that of Ramesses IX (1111 BCE).

Want a discount? Become a member by purchasing Personal Subscription – Annually
HIGH QUALITY IMAGE DOWNLOADS
All of our downloadable maps are provided as JPEG at 300 DPI and a minimum of 1500px wide.
  • Different Formats

  • Request Variations

  • Institution Subscriptions

Qty: