Medinet Habu c. 1170 BCE

$3.95

Map Code: Ax00014

In the western Theban necropolis is Ramesses III’s ‘fortress like’ funerary temple and palace complex, Medinet Habu. Within its inner walls are the Royal Palace, the sandstone mortuary temple, smaller temples and additions, including a chapel built in 700 BCE. There are also storehouses and housing for the priests and temple staff. The sandstone mortuary temple is famous for its outer northern wall tableau of Ramesses III’s final victory over the Sea Peoples. The walls of the inner courtyards and sanctuary areas portray military and scared themes, such as the king destroying the Libyans or paying homage to the gods. The temple is connected to the Royal Palace harem area by a portico, where it is thought Pharaoh greeted the public. The palace’s function is mostly symbolic as it was rarely occupied, though women bathed in the sacred lake at night, praying to Isis for fertility.

Want a discount? Become a member by purchasing Personal Subscription – Annually
HIGH QUALITY IMAGE DOWNLOADS
All of our downloadable maps are provided as JPEG at 300 DPI and a minimum of 1500px wide.
  • Different Formats

  • Request Variations

  • Institution Subscriptions

Qty: