In 1895, the British Crown completed its first draft of the organization of its Canadian territories. In that year, it extended the District of Keewatin along the south coast of Hudson Bay, and parcelled up the residual Northwest Territory into the District of Ungava in the east, and Mackenzie and Yukon in the west. The Arctic Islands were converted into the District of Franklin, and the District of Athabaska was enlarged. In 1897, the precise borders of Franklin, Keewatin and Ungava were clarified where they intersected at the mouth of the Hudson Bay. Meanwhile, gold had been discovered in the Yukon, resulting in a rapid inrush of prospectors, and its promotion to a territory in 1898. In the same year, the Quebec Boundary Extension Act, saw that province absorb the southwestern corner of the District of Ungava.
— OR —
Website Design AT Technical