Fisher’s Hill 22 September 1864


Map Code: Ax02030

Fisher’s Hill was the second battle of the Shenandoah Valley Campaign. After their defeat at Winchester on 19 September, the remains of the Confederate army moved to Fisher’s Hill, a natural fortification which blocked access to the lower valley region. Under the overall command of Jubal A. Early, the 9,000-strong Confederate army consisted of cavalry under Major General Lomax and four infantry divisions. The Union VIII Corps, under the command of Union Major General George Crook, and supported to the right by VI and XIX Corps, attacked the Confederate line at about 4pm, taking both the cavalry and infantry by surprise and meeting little resistance. The Confederate line collapsed from west to east as the remaining Union corps joined battle. In total, 81 lives were lost at Fisher’s Hill, most of them from the Union army. However, the Union victory precipitated a Confederates’ retreat, opening up the country to Sheridan’s scorched earth policy.

Want a discount? Become a member by purchasing Personal Subscription – Annually
All of our downloadable maps are provided as JPEG at 300 DPI and a minimum of 1500px wide.
  • Different Formats

    Different Formats

  • Different Formats

    Request Variations

  • Institution Subscriptions

    Institution Subscriptions